Wednesday, July 10, 2013

A Daily Routine

Tomorrow will mark two week since the kids and I landed in The Netherlands.   We are becoming seasoned pros at grocery shopping...we better be after going almost EVERY DAY since we got here!   Yes, you read correctly...people in The Netherlands shop on a daily basis! 

Our  local Albert Heinj Store (just look for the big blue AH signs) is about the size of a Super Wawa.  There are no carts but if you are in luck you can score a basket that has wheels and a longer handle to pull behind you.  Parking is extremely limited.      

Given that everyone tends to shop daily, don't you dare try to go near the stores at dinner time.   Most of the perishables are sold out.   The kids and I often go before lunch time and Bill goes to the Albert Heinz XL on his way home.  Even though we are trying to live the Dutch way, we still are Americans and need to stockpile some goods.  I can't even wrap my head around buying two rolls of paper towels at a time or 1/2 a loaf of bread (which are both ways that the items are typically packaged). 

A few perks of shopping daily:
  • Fresh rolls and meat!  Roman selects two small rolls every day to eat with his lunch and dinner. 
  • Olives!!!  Anyone who knows me really well also knows that I love olives!  They are a staple at our family Thanksgiving dinner and I think my sister and I could go through at least two cans easily.  Olives are here and CHEAP!   My favorites are the green olives with mozzarella cheese and also the container that contains green olives with garlic pieces.  YUMMY!
  • I get paid to recycle!  I take back my glass and plastic bottles, insert them in the machine, and out pops a coupon to be deducted when I check out.  I just figured this system out today!  
  • The grocery store is a mile away so I get at least a 2 mile walk in each day! If I keep carrying the bottles back to the store, I may also come home with jacked arm muscles!   
  • My dad and grandmother will be quite proud - There's a bonus card and we have one to take advantage of the sales!  You should have seen that conversation between me and the cashier!
  • The kids love taking turns pulling the basket behind us.   
  • A foreign concept to PA, but we can buy alcohol in the grocery store...everything from single bottle or can up to a case. 
 Downfalls:
  • It's a daily event to go to the grocery store.   I don't like grocery shopping at home once every 2 weeks let alone on a daily basis with both kids! 
  • Trying to figure out what I am buying with two kids in tow and my phone doesn't work except when on Wifi.  Out comes my handy dandy pocket dictionary. 
  • The list needs to be spot on or we do without.  I'm not trekking back!
  • Don't forget the backpack OR be ready to fork out money to purchase a plastic bag!   At the AH, bags do not come for free and even if you purchase one, you still have the get the groceries home with you.  We've resulted to taking the empty backpack with us and filling it with the purchases.  Eggs, milk, and bread gets carried home in hands. 
  • I still can't find Roman's instant oatmeal and the supply I packed is running extremely low! 
  • If you buy alcohol, you need to remember that you have to still get it home. 
 Tomorrow, the kids and I will be buying olives, rolls, and some sort of meat for dinner.  

On another note, we are loving all of the preparations for the 4 Daagse Walk that will take place next week.  The work ethic is amazing!  Tents, temporary buildings, big screen TVs, pedestrian bridges, and even amusement rides are going up daily!  Today, the kids and I found the starting line....it's about 400 meters from our condo!  We are very excited to experience this very popular event from a local perspective!
 



No comments:

Post a Comment